Try to tell me that this is not horrible! I dare ya!
See what I mean?
So I went to town. I emptied the room completely and ripped out all the carpet.
Discovered there was a crack in the foundation. Just what you want to find when you’re doing demolition. Filled in the crack. Did a textured treatment on the walls. My sister came over and helped with that. The whole basement was paneling and when I originally painted over it in that nasty blue, I didn’t take the time to fill in the seams of the paneling. So when I redid it this time I wanted to do it right.
It was a painstaking process, but totally worth the effort.
Another thing that I did down here was to remove the posts between the family room and the bar area and I built a bar and some bar stools.
I also ripped out the horrifying dark brown shag carpet from off the stairs, sanded the stairs down, and stained them. This was probably the most difficult part of the room. Even more difficult than laying tile BY MYSELF in a 27 x 15 foot room. Trust me. That’s a lot of tile.
Then I brought in a large, comfortable couch and huge TV. Changing the direction of the couch and TV really opened up the area. I was really pleased with the way that it all turned out.